One high-severity vulnerability is recently revealed to be present in the PolicyKit's pkexec binary. Successful exploitation of this vulnerability by a non-privileged user could lead to escalation to a super user root.
To address this vulnerability, the vendor has released security patches. For more information, please refer to our blog.
Use SanerNow platform to apply this high severity patch quickly across the organization as shown below.
SanerNow: Vulnerability detection and patching of Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability:
- Login to SanerNow platform
- Switch to the account/site specific view and Go to 'VM tool'
- If your Linux Operating System is vulnerable, Saner lists the CVE’s 'CVE-2021-4034' in 'Vulnerabilities' section as shown in the below diagram
- Search for this vulnerability in the VM tool. If you are affected, apply the patch through PM -> Missing Patches
- Select 'Groups/Devices' in the 'Asset Source' section and click 'Apply'.
- Select the 'PolicyKit' product from the 'Asset' section as shown in the below diagram.
- Select 'Apply Selected Patches' at the rightmost corner. This will prompt for 'Creating Patching Task'. Fill in 'Task Name' and 'Remediation Schedule' as per your preference and click on 'Apply Selected Patches' as shown below,
- Remediation job will be created, which will fix the vulnerability by upgrading the software and making the system immune to PolicyKit vulnerability.
- Once remediation is done, the Saner agent automatically scans again and upload the result to SanerNow as shown below.