In their usual cycle of security updates, Microsoft has provided mitigation to yet another class of speculative vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities, dubbed as ZombieLoad 2 Speculative Execution Side-Channel Attacks were published by Intel. On successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities, an attacker could obtain sensitive information by reading kernel memory.
All Microsoft Windows operating systems
To address this vulnerability, Microsoft has issued patches for all Windows operating systems. For more information, please refer to our blog:
Saner provides remediation for the above systems. Use SanerNow platform to apply this critical patch quickly across the organization as shown below.
Vulnerability detection and patching of Windows OS:
- Login to SanerNow platform
- Switch to the account/site specific view and Go to 'VM tool'
- If your Windows OS is vulnerable, Saner lists the above CVEs in 'Top Vulnerabilities' or 'Recently Discovered Vulnerabilities' as shown in the below diagram:
- Search for this vulnerability in VM tool. If you are affected, apply the patch through PM -> Missing Patches.
- Select 'Groups/Devices' in the 'Asset Source' section and click 'Apply'.
- Select the OS name from the 'Asset' section as shown in the below image:
- Select ‘Apply Selected Patches’ at the rightmost corner. This will prompt for ‘Creating Patch Task’. Fill in ‘Task Name’ and ‘Remediation Schedule' as per your preference and click on ‘Apply Selected Patches' as shown below:
- Remediation job will be created, which will fix the vulnerability by updating the OS to the latest version.
- Once remediation is done, the Saner agent automatically scans again and uploads the result to SanerNow as shown below: