One of the commonly used freemium PDF software, the Foxit Reader, has been recently found to be vulnerable to several high-severity flaws. These vulnerabilities can be exploited leaving the system exposed to arbitrary code execution and denial-of-service. As the product is used by a fairly huge number of users, Foxit recommends its customers to upgrade to the latest version immediately.
Foxit Reader versions before 9.7
To address these vulnerabilities, the vendor has released a patch for Foxit Reader. For more information, please refer to our blog:
Use SanerNow platform to apply this high-severity patch quickly across the organization as shown below.
Vulnerability detection and patching of Foxit Reader:
- Login to SanerNow platform
- Switch to the account/site specific view and Go to 'VM tool'
- If your Application (Foxit Reader) is vulnerable, Saner lists the above mentioned CVEs in 'Top Vulnerabilities or 'Recently Discovered Vulnerabilities as shown in the below image:
- Search for this vulnerability in VM tool. If you are affected, apply the patch through PM -> Missing Patches.
- Select 'Groups/Devices in the 'Asset Source' section and click 'Apply'.
- Select the product 'Foxit Reader' from the 'Asset' section as shown in the below image:
- Select ‘Apply Selected Patches’ at the rightmost corner. This will prompt for ‘Creating Patch Task’. Fill in ‘Task Name’ and ‘Remediation Schedule' as per your preference and click on ‘Apply Selected Patches as shown below image:
Remediation job will be created, which will fix the vulnerability by upgrading Foxit Reader to the latest patch version.
- Once remediation is done, the Saner agent automatically scans again and uploads the result to SanerNow as shown below image: