How to enable automatic update for MS Office 2013 and 2016 Click-To-Run installations
By Default, updates for Click-To-Run installations of MS Office 2013 and 2016 are not offered by Microsoft through Windows updates, rather we need to manually update by opening an application or set to update automatically.
In this article, we will explain how we can install updates manually and how we can configure the Windows registry to get updates automatically.
How to update manually?
1. Open Word or Excel and create a new document/sheet.
2. Go to File > Account
3. Under Product Information, choose Update Options > Update Now.
How to configure automatic update via registry setting?
For MS Office 2013:
For MS Office 2016:
Create a new entry or set 'EnableAutomaticUpdates' to 1 of DWORD type under OfficeUpdate.
Refer below image for easy understanding,
How to automate the configuration of automatic update using SanerNow?
1. Download the attached 'Office2016_C2R_RegUpdate.zip' file.
2. Extract 'Office2016_C2R_RegUpdate.zip' file, you will get 'Office2016_C2R_RegUpdate.exe'
3. Login to https://saner.secpod.com
4. Switch to the account/site specific view
5. Use the EM tool to create an Action
6. Select 'Software Deployment' feature
7. Select 'Install' in the 'command' and select 'Install method' as 'Using Installation file'
8. Upload the file 'Office2016_C2R_RegUpdate.exe'
9. Provide 'Command line arguments*' as /S for silent mode installation
10. Select the Group where you want to apply this change and click 'Create Response' as shown in the below diagram
NOTE: Systems need to be rebooted to effect this change. Reboot job can also be created using EM -> Actions -> System option.
Follow the above same steps for MS Office 2013 using the attached Office2013_C2R_RegUpdate.zip file.