To point the Windows machine to WSUS server
- Go to Start --> Run and type GPEDIT.MSC to open Group Policy Object Editor.
- In Group Policy Object Editor, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.
- In the details pane, double-click Specify intranet Microsoft update service locatio
- Click Enabled, and type the HTTP URL of the WSUS server in the Set the intranet update service for detecting updates box and in the Set the intranet statistics server For example, Server name : http://SP-WSUS-Win2008
- Client computers configured with a domain-based Group Policy, it will take about 20 minutes after Group Policy refreshes (that is, applies any new policy settings to the client computer). By default, Group Policy refreshes in the background every 90 minutes, with a random offset of 0–30 minutes. If you want to refresh Group Policy sooner, you can go to a command prompt on the client computer and type: gpupdate /force.